Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Falling with style

We had our third evaluation appointment today. I can't tell you much about it though because I wasn't involved. I was there, but in the waiting room. This was Kaitlyn's behavior and intelligence testing day, so the doctors wanted to evaluate her based on what she was able to do without outside stimulation- ie mom. I talked with the psychologist for about 45 minutes before everything started. Kaitlyn was in with a therapist finishing some speech stuff. They recommended more therapy, as I mentioned last week, however today they did more evaluation to figure out exactly what else to do in therapy. The psychologist (Dr. Murphy) asked me some questions about the evaluations they did when we started at the preschool. I mentioned that they had done some intelligence testing in which Kait scored 3 standard deviations below normal. Anything in the 70 range is considered mentally handicapped, which is why we were accepted into the school. Dr. Murphy went on to explain that most school evaluations are primarily verbal. If a child has trouble with language development it can show false results on intelligence testing. I guess that could be encouraging. It remains to be seen. I have to wait a little more than 2 weeks before I will get to hear the results of all the testing today. Our appointment was at 1. We left at 4. She did really great for being peppered for 3 hours.. though they know how to make it fun I'm sure! We went to get Andrea and Christopher from the sitters and ended up staying to play for a little while. She (the sitters) had some very encouraging words for me. It's nice to know that people are praying for you even if they don't know exactly what to pray for. We ended up heading home during rush hour. What is typically a 20 minute trip ended up taking 1.5 hours. The kids were so exhausted and hungry. When we finally got home- at 7 p.m. tonight UGH!!- Phil had dinner ready for us. We ate and put the kids to bed. I think tomorrow will be nothing but cleaning and laundry! Forget going anywhere! :)

I was rather anxious before our appointment today. I don't know why it is that I can know everything and still stress. I guess it's part of the grieving process. I sent a quick text to my mom and a girlfriend just to ask for special prayer, and almost immediately the following verse popped into my head. I don't remember when I learned it, and at the time I didn't remember the reference, but it certainly helped my nerves calm quite a bit. Psalm 94:19 "When my anxious thoughts multiply within me, Your comforts delight my soul." I love it when God does stuff like that. A little while later the kids were watching the movie Toy Story and I heard the scene where Buzz tries to prove he can fly. Woody says "Oooh come on!! That's not flying! That's falling with style." I think today I am falling with style :) I think I'm flying. People that don't know better will likely think I'm flying, but really I'm just falling. Perhaps with a bit of flair and some pizazz, but it's still just falling. I'm glad I have God's strong and loving arms to land in at the end of that fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...