Saturday, July 30, 2011

MMMMM!! Treat weekend

 Bread is a precious comodity in our household.  Being gluten free definitely limits our choices... not to mention the fact that MOST GF bread is just plain gross.  I bake a lot, but it's nice to pick up a loaf at the store like a normal person.  Being that this weekend is Kaitlyn's birthday, I wanted to do something special for breakfast today.   Pancakes aren't too difficult, but I'm out of baking mix.  When I found not one, but TWO loaves of Udi's Gluten Free Bread on clearance for $0.99 I went nuts.  FRENCH TOAST!!!!!!!  Something we NEVER have.  If I wanted to make french toast I would either resign myself to paying $5.99 for a loaf of bread, or I would have to bake at least one extra.  I was stoked.



I couldn't believe it.  Udi's makes the best gluten free bread (next to mine of course).



Typical ingredients... egg, milk vanilla (vanilla is another thing that you have to check gluten on.. not one I thought about when we first began!!)



Gluten Free bread can tend to make a very soggy French Toast.  Taking a cue from my mother-in-law - (who batters and fries her french toast- yummy, but makes me SOOOO sick) - I added a bit of Tapioca starch and rice flour.  Gives the egg milk mixture just a bit of substance and adds a nice toast when done.



The finished product... topped with homemade Cinnamon-Maple syrup and just a tad powdered sugar.


Yummo!!! :-) Thank you Udi's!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...