Saturday, September 20, 2014

Sunrise and rest

This morning we went on a sunrise hike in a local park.  When Phil said he wanted to get up at 5 on a Saturday to watch the sun rise, I was not so thrilled. I didn't sleep a whole lot, thanks to a phone that decided to chirp all night, so when 5 am rolled around I was already half awake.  I am the first to claim I am NOT a morning person, but every time I get up that early I am amazed at how my day goes.  One would think that I would be grumpier, more easily irritated etc, but there is something about the early morning that rests me.... Rest.  That theme has been rampant in my blog followings this week.  It's ironic how we have to figure out how to rest in this generation.  I think most of it is because we are constantly working, or looking, or learning, or gathering.  I remember my neighbor always sitting in her yard.  She woke well before sunrise.. usually around 3, and by lunch would just sit in the yard with her dog.  Sometimes in the front talking to the kids as we played.  Sometimes in the back with her eyes shut, or reading a magazine.  I'm jealous of that time.  Some would have said she was lazy, but anyone who knew her was well aware of the level of work she did prior to any of us noticing the day had come!  I don't know how to sit and do nothing sometimes.  I can read, but while I'm reading my mind is traveling a million miles a minute thinking of all the things I have yet to do today.  All that to say an early morning hike is the perfect rest for me.  Watching the sun come up over the mountains.  Just sitting for a few minutes and listening to the birds sing.  I had to remind my kids several times to just be quiet.  There is noise all around us, but do we listen?  Do we take the time to sit and revel in Gods glory?  Psalm 46:10 says "Be still and know that I am God! I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth!"  I want to make sure that I am being still so that when God is exalted I am aware of it!  How many times to we listen to all the clamor and miss that still small voice.  Over the next few weeks I will be recounting our journey to Arizona.  I was encouraged to start a journal with our story, and I've decided I need to write it out here as well.  I know there aren't many that follow me, but maybe I can encourage someone to hear in the stillness!!  Just because it's quiet doesn't mean God's not moving! 







1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...